BLOOR WEST UKRAINIAN MURAL
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS IS NOW CLOSED!
UKRAINIAN CANADIAN SOCIAL SERVICES - TORONTO is initiating the BLOOR WEST UKRAINIAN MURAL project by sending out a call for submissions to create a collaborative large-scale mural located on the east side of the Ukrainian Canadian Social Services building located on Bloor and Jane in Toronto, Ontario.
To celebrate Canada’s 150 year anniversary and 125 years of Ukrainians in Canada, we would like to bring multiple artists together to create a long-term mural and landmark commemorating Bloor West as Toronto’s largest Ukrainian centre. The selected mural artist(s) will be responsible for the implementation of a mural commission to be painted on a section of the wall which will be determined at the consultation stage of the project. Selected artists will meet with the Mural Project team to combine their original artwork/design elements together to create the mural as one cohesive piece.
The purpose of the mural:
- To create a current and physical Ukrainian-Canadian presence in the city
- To animate and revitalize the Ukrainian-Canadian art scene and cultural growth in Bloor West and surrounding neighbourhoods
Other points to keep in mind for the mural:
- To acknowledge the shop owners, local businesses and professionals that made this area a community hub for Ukrainian immigrants
- To show a broad perspective of what it is to be Ukrainian-Canadian within Toronto’s diversity
- To honour an area that thrived, became a popular neighbourhood, and played a leading and important a role in the development of the city
- To demonstrate the Ukrainian-Canadian communities continuing contribution to the city’s multiculturalism and identity
Preparing your submission, please familiarize yourself with the Ukrainian Canadian Social Services wall and surrounding area and make sure to review the guidelines thoroughly. Artists will be selected by a jury through a two stage process involving a detailed proposal and design proposal followed by an interview. Also note that this is a collaborative project and your portion of the design may need adaptation to result in a cohesive mural.
Stage 1: Submitting proposal package online
Stage 2: Interview process with selected jury
The expected completion of the Mural Project is September 2017
(before next year’s Bloor West Village Ukrainian Festival)
- Submission form. Completed and signed Submission Form.
- Artist Statement / Proposal (1 page max.) Artist statement that outlines the purpose of the mural and description of the concept.
- Artist Biography (250 words max)
- Design proposal (completed using template provided)
- Detail of design proposal. Include a minimum of one detailed sketch from your design proposal and provide a detailed sketch (image cannot be larger than 8.5 x 11”)
- Current Curriculum Vitae (2 pages max.) Outline your most relevant artistic professional history.
- Visual Support Material with Support Material List (7 images max.) Include images of relevant works by the Artist identified with a Support Material listing with title, approx. size, medium, and date. Please select visual support material mindfully, as jury have limited time to consider each proposal. Images should be labeled numerically with the artist’s name (01_name.jpg, 02_name.jpg, etc.).
CONTACT: Oksana Hawrylak
Mural Project Co-ordinator